Monday, December 28, 2009

When I Grow Up

Hi Everyone! 

First off, I wanted to apologize.  I've been pretty busy with the holidays, so I haven't had time to post anything on the blog lately.  I'm back now, though!

I hadn't quite finished posting my favorite things of 2009, so I'm going to push to have that wrapped up by the end of the week!

I'm going to start up again by writing about another one of my favorite musical acts of 2009.  Karin Dreijer Andersson is not a new face in the music industry, although most to not know her by her real name.  She has been involved in the music industry for over a decade now.  Her career began creating some great pop music over a decade ago with the group, Honey is Cool.  She then teamed up with her brother and started an electronic group in 1999 that, in my point of view, is one of the most influential groups of this decade.  The Knife moved electronic music from an over produced world of synthetic music to a very sparse and dark world that is much more expressive and real than most of the music that is generally lumped into this genre.

Karin then broke off and decided to work on a solo project.  The album was released this year and is, without a doubt, one of the best albums released this year.  It continues with the dark and sparse sound created under The Knife, but pushes it even further.  There is an immense contrast created between the music and the lyrics.  There is a very innocent aspect in the lyrics of every song.  I also admire the fact that there was a lot of thought put into this album.  Each song builds on the previous track and it's one of the few albums of the year that I can say is a complete experience, worth listening to from beginning to end.  This album, like those created by The Knife, will have a lasting impact on music.

No comments:

Post a Comment