Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crazy in Love

One of the artists that I truely admire as an artist and a gift is Antony Hegarty.  He is the lead singer for Antony and the Johnsons, which have created some of the most powerful songs that I've heard in the past 3 years.  This year, Antony and the Johnsons relased The Crying Light, their 3rd studio album.  This album was much darker than their previous albums, but there was also a great intimacy in every song in the album.  Antony sings his personal emotion and heartbreak with the intention of making you feel what he feels.  It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite albums to be released this year.

I was also fortunate enough to see Antony and the Johnsons live this year.  It was the most beautiful concert I've seen all year, if not in my entire time in Columbus.  Every song was taken to a new place.  They also provided one of my absolute favorite moments of the year.  Many bands play covers during their concerts, and most times, you leave feeling like it was just a rendition of the original, nothing new and unexpected.  Antony and the Johnsons broke that stereotype in the way no other band I've seen has ever done.  They got on stage and covered Beyonce's Crazy In Love.  Their version of the song was actually more powerful than the original in my eyes.  The mood of their rendition seemed to have brought out the true emotions of the lyrics.  It was one of the most powerful stage moments I've witnessed all year.  With that, I leave you with the video of the studio version of this cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment