Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Givenchy Womenswear Spring 2012

I've had Givenchy on my mind all day.  I was in Chicago shopping for work and tried on 6 or 7 pieces from their Fall collection and it brought this collection to mind.  I'm surprised I haven't blogged about it already!  

You all know that Riccardo is my biggest design icon right now.  I can't say full heartedly that every collection has been a winner.  He's had moments where he's trying to be everything to everyone.  His strongest moments have all happened when he's hyper focused and really zoning in on an idea.  This collection was one of those moments.  He's self described this collection with a story about a mermaid meeting a grungy surfer.  There are definitely some oceanic references in this collection - mainly in the organic peplum shapes and fish tail hems, but most literally in the amazing shark teeth necklaces.  What really amazes me about this collection is that it references an emerging trend that was used on several runways throughout Paris, but he does them in such a way that has become part of the Givenchy DNA, that it becomes somethings so singular that stands on it's own.  This collection was a knockout in my eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment