Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rodarte Fall 2010

The Mulleavy sisters approach fashion from a different place than any other American designers.  They really come at each collection from an artistic point of view, both defying and creating trend. I admit - my love for Rodarte won't allow me to see any error in their work.  To me, they are true artisans and have helped propel fashion into another place.  In viewing their work, you get a feeling that they are not creating collections with the thought of commercial success looming in the back of their minds, which is something few designers do these days.  This collection was no exception in my mind.  They were inspired by the female maquiladora workers crossing the borders to get to work in Ciudad Juarez in the middle of the night.  Many of these women were murdered.  To me, the collection is a reflection of the ghosts of these women, wandering the night trying to find solace in their unneccesary deaths.  My Latin American upbringing can be blamed for this conclusion!  Either way, this collection managed to continue the artistic vision behind Rodarte while being more commercial than most collections they've produced.  It was a subdued version of Rodarte, mixing in many of the trends that are present in other collections while maintaining the Rodarte identity.  It was definitely one of my favorites of New York Fashion Week!



No comments:

Post a Comment